LES France and LES Benelux joined forces to organize two webinars with the focus on the effects of the unitary patent, and the Unified Patent Court on the licensing world.
10 March Unified Patent Court: a new licensing dynamic will start in 2022 in Europe
In the first session, renowned experts in the field will set the scene by providing an introduction to the unitary patent system and unified patent court.
What shall we all know about the UP and the UPC? Where are we in the process? What needs to be done in your company during the transition phase? What are the competences of the courts ? How to litigate in the UPC ?
Please click here to find the replay of this first webinar
28 March Unified Patent Court Part II: Practical advice about the impact on current and future license agreements
In a second session, implications of the UPC on existing and future licensing deals will be addressed from a practical viewpoint:
which typical patent license clauses needs attention? In this second session, we had an open panel discussion.
- click here to find the replay of this webinar
- Handout presentation Kathleen De Belder, IMEC
- Handout presentation Jean-Baptiste Thiénot, CMS Francis Lefebvre Avocats
17 November Add-on on “Clauses Concerning Termination Events” in Brussels
- Handout Termination and Patent expiry/invalidation, Dirk-Jan Ridderinkhof, Hogan Lovells, Amsterdam (NL)
- Handout Termination and Force Majeure, Markus Kaiser, TIMES Attorneys, Zurich (CH)
- Handout Termination and insolvency, Auriane Schockaert and Jean-Christophe Troussel, Bird & Bird, Brussels (B)
- Handout Post-termination clauses, Darren Jiron, Finnegan, Reston (USA)
12 October 2021 – Webinar on Cyber security
On 12 October a webinar on ’Cyber Security’ was held, from 11h45 to 13h30 CET.
11:45 Opening by chairman Jurriaan Jansen (Norton Rose Fulbright LLP)
11:50 Discussion on the interplay between cyber security, confidentiality and trade secrets by Christian Prickaerts (Fox-IT) and Maurits Westerik (Coupry)
13:20 Closing remarks
Program and speakers:
– Christian Prickaerts is the director of Managed Services & a board member at Dutch Cyber Security firm Fox-IT. He is a highly experienced information security professional with experience in a wide variety of cyber security cases, specialized in data and data security. Christian deems it important to share one’s experience and knowledge and as such he is a frequent speaker at conferences on topics related to information security.
– Maurits Westerik is an IP litigator and partner at the boutique firm Coupry, with particular expertise is in the field of electronics and software: a programmer and micro-electronics enthusiast himself, he enjoys working with engineers and technology-oriented clients. He teaches patent law and software protection at the Technical University of Delft and IP at the Biopharmaceutical Faculty in Leiden. Explaining how the law, business and technology interplay from a systematic viewpoint is the main theme of his public speaking and teaching
Christian and Maurits have discussed the interplay between cyber security, confidentiality and trade secrets, touching upon questions like: how does one deal with one’s precious R&D trade secrets, what kind of Chinese walls are appropriate when dealing with confidential information received from parties under NDA, what sort of security requirements can one ask for in licenses? Information security both in regard to private (e.g. competitors, hackers) and state actors (e.g. industrial espionage, dawn raids by authorities) have been touched upon.
For this webinar no handouts are available.
22 June – AGM and Big data and Agriculture
Click here for the AGM papers 2021
- Regulations related to data and dataspaces, Alain Strowel, professor at UCL and USL-B, Brussels
- Practical aspects of the use of data (regulations), Jan Anthonis, CTO Octinion, Heverlee-Leuven
- Use of big data in agritech and its technical challenges, Peter van der Vlugt, General Manager / CTO – Innovation Center Europe at Kubota Holdings
- John Pillion, Director of Intellectual Property, Aerofarms, Newark, USA
17 June – Impacts for IP, Trade and Commercialisation Agreements
This online session organized by Claire Le Floch for Les France, was the third of a series of three, looking at the impact of the final Brexit Treaty, the “Trade and Cooperation Agreement between The European Union … and … the United Kingdom” from an Intellectual Property, Information Technology and Data perspective. This third session concentrated on what Brexit means on the freedom of movement of goods incorporating intellectual property rights as well as the vexed questions of law, jurisdiction and enforcement.
Please view the video and the slides via the website of LES France
18 February – “Brexit: Impacts for IP, Trade and Commercialisation Agreements”
This online session was the first of what we hope will be a series of three, looking at the impact of the final Brexit Treaty, the “Trade And Cooperation Agreement between The European Union … and … the United Kingdom” from an Intellectual Property, Information Technology and Data perspective. The first session will concentrate on what Brexit means for the historical interpretation of existing Intellectual Property licensing agreements, as well as future licensing agreements organised by LES France, LES Britain & Ireland and LES Benelux.
18 November – Software Specific Challenges in Licensing
- Open Source Issues, Maurits Westerik, Coupry Advocaten and Bert Hubert, Den Haag
- Licensing (big) data, Robert Harrison and Killian Müller, Sonnenberg Harrison Partnerschaft mbB, Munich
- Export control issues in transferring data, Polo van der Putt, Vondst, Amsterdam
22 October – Trademarks in the Benelux and in the UK after Brexit
- Lee Curtis, partner at HGF Ltd., Brexit: trade marks and designs need to knows
- Tineke Van Hoey, lawyer at BOIP, An insight in the Benelux trademark and some practicalities
17 September AGM and presentations on recent devlopments
- Alain Strowel, partner Pierstone, Prof. UCLouvain, Recent EU tech developments (platform regulation and data strategy);
- Claudia Zeri, BarentsKrans, Recent changes i.e. Patent lawsuit
30 June Virtual Meeting on Force Majeure in IP and Technology Licenses, outsourcing and R&D agreements
The 2nd LES Benelux virtual meeting on “Force Majeure in IP and Technology Licenses, outsourcing and R&D agreements” has been held Tuesday 30 June. Mr. Richard Klieman, Solicitor (UK) / Avocat (FR) at Vasco Lawyers and former legal Director Europe at Applied Materials and Mr. Keith Chanroo, VP IP & Licensing at IMEC started a conversation among all LES Benelux members regarding Force Majeure with a practical case. Mr. Hannes Abraham, Senior Associate at Pierstone Brussels, Belgium, Mr. Jurriaan Jansen, Partner at Norton Rose Fulbright, Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Mr. Vincent Wellens, Partner at NautaDutilh Luxembourg will add some specificities per jurisdiction.
Click here for their presentation.
14 May Virtual Meeting on IPR Regimes in Current Days of Crisis
IPR Regimes in Current Days of Crisis: Can the Traditional IPR Ownership and Control of IPR be Harnessed to Foster Faster Solutions? Mr. Christophe Verbruggen, Director – Legal Affairs R&D EMEA of Janssen Pharmaceuticals (J&J) in Belgium, had a conversation with LES Benelux members regarding licensing activities, in particular in collaborations between Academia and industry partners, but also among industry partners directly. Please find his presentation here
6 November Complex Clauses in The Hague, The Netherlands
20 June Lessons learned from life sciences and AGM in Brussels, Belgium
21 March Remembrance Meeting Florent Gevers in Brussels, Belgium
14 November Complex Clauses in The Hague, The Netherlands
4 October UPC UP and BREXIT – Harmony and Discord in The Hague, The Netherlands
12 June Digital Disruption and AGM in Rotterdam, The Netherlands
6 March GDPR and IP: how it will affect your (business) practices on IP in Brussels, Belgium
Programs of meetings before 2018:
- 20170125 LES Benelux_Program Cross-border effect Patent law and export compliance Rotterdam
- 20170308 LES Benelux_Program IP Licensing in Mobile Apps Leuven
- 20170615 LES Benelux_Program Hot Topics in Licensing Rotterdam
- 20171115 LES Benelux_Program Complex Clauses Leuven
- 20160421 LES Benelux Program IP and Tax Luxembourg
- 20160907 LES Benelux_Program IP Valuation in context Brussels
- 20161109 LES Benelux_Program Complex Licensing challenges Brussels
- 20150210 LES Benelux_Program Patenting and licensing life-forms Liege
- 20151210 LES Benelux_Program IP Licensingin Mobile Apps Leuven
- 20140318 LES Benelux Program Does Innovation need IP Brussels
- 20140424 LES Benelux Program IP, Tax – Optimisation and Monetisation in the EU Luxembourg
- 20140619 LES Benelux Program Arbitration and ADR Rotterdam
- 20140923 LES Benelux Program Bridging the Gap Leiden
- 20131003 LES Benelux Program Alliance Management Rotterdam
- 20121011 LES Benelux Program Influence of IP in health development Liege
- 20120607 LES Benelux Program Modern Licensing Practice Rotterdam
Please do not hesitate to contact the secretariat if you are looking for one of the presentations given during these meetings.